Pages

Monday, October 11

Guitar



The weeping of the guitar
begins.
The goblets of dawn
are smashed.
The weeping of the guitar
begins.
Useless
to silence it.
Impossible 
to silence it.
It weeps monotonously
as water weeps
as the wind weeps
over snowfields.
Impossible
to silence it.
It weeps for distant 
things.
Hot southern sands
yearning for white camellias.
Weeps arrow without target
evening without morning
and the first dead bird
on the branch.
Oh, guitar!
Heart mortally wounded
by five swords.
................. 

The Guitar by Federico García Lorca
translated by
Cola Franzen


Image Woman With A Guitar by Pablo Picasso

10 comments:

SILVIA said...

Me encanta la guitarra. ¡Sabes que estoy pensando en apuntarme a clases?
Ya te contaré. Un besazo!!!

S. Susan Deborah said...

What a lovely companion piece to the song "While my guitar gently weeps" by George Harrison.

Thanks for sharing this with us dearest.

Joy always,
Susan

SY said...

I love the way birds and guitars come off so synonymous here.. pretty powerful

Brian Miller said...

nice hit susan...i was thinking of the same song as i read this...i feel the words...and swords...

Carla Bruni said...

Hi... awesome!

Nice poem! Play that song again Dulce... I love the sound of your writing!! Thx for sharing dear.

Hope to read more from you...

Anthony Duce said...

There is something about a weeping guitar. You captured it so well, you and Picasso…

Manon said...

I truly loved this. My guitar weeps because I don't play it.

JStar said...

This is singing a bitter-sweet song...

steveroni said...

"Oh, guitar!"

Oh GUITAR???

Those five strings mortally wound a heart? (Violin has 'only' four!)

Well...maybe--grin!

Actually, it's a beautiful poem, wish I knew how to understand it in the original.

And Picasso--always a favorite for me. I could study his work forever.

Thanks, Dulce

eric1313 said...

As a guitarist, I thank you for bringing this one to us!