Pages

Monday, July 5

In Question


When does it actually start being our choice and not others’?

Ever since we are conceived, maybe?

While being in our mother’s belly or perhaps

Once we are given birth?

When do we make up our own minds for the first time?


Being an adult…intriguing.


When does one become one?

Can you positively state ‘I am a grown up individual’?


Did that become a fact when you knew Santa was not Santa at all?

Maybe when you had sex for the first time and you really enjoyed it?

Maybe when you had sex for the first time against your will?

When you made the far reaching decision of getting married?

When you metamorphosed into a mother?


When you learnt how to be picture-perfect

And were able to cope with the high standards

Others had previously so well created?

Was it when you did not stumble any more,

Stopped being messy and instead started writing things down on a diary?


Was it perhaps when you began having interesting conversations

Which had nothing to do with your feelings

But suited perfectly because you were also paying a mortgage?


Or was it when you survived despite all the suffering around you

And yet you could go to sleep in peace?

Perhaps it was when you lost that friend because you were stubborn enough

Or when you declined to lose a friend because you swallowed your words

And thus your thoughts…?



When you know how, when, who and where…

When you can handle the side effects

When you can disconnect

Meditate, relax

Lose faith and gain it again

When you say, ‘ Ok, that’s it.’

When you say, ’I’m really happy today’

Or when, instead, you say, ‘I’m really sad but I don’t know why.’ (?)


________________________________________________________________________________________________

20 comments:

Sheri said...

hello sweet dulce! i got this, and after reading it just once!!!
this isn't your usual style but stretching to grasp more than the poet you already are :) i enjoyed this tremendously...perhaps because it wasn't dealing with love...that saddens me deeply just to say that.

Blogoratti said...

Very interesting read...

Caio Fern said...

fantastic !
you are diging the core of us .

Kay said...

very reflective and very well put.

I think the answer lies within knowing all the answers... I've been there since I was 5 :)

Everyday Goddess said...

i'm going with, we always have a choice, even kids do within reason.

Tabitha Bird said...

Love this. Choice is an interesting thing to talk about. Who really has it? Who does not? Your thoughts were beautifully expressed.

Lu Ann said...

Oh my dear friend.

This made me kinda sad and thoughtfull at the same time.
Again... this could have been me.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, they are not only worth reading, but Im sure they are also worth understanding and feeling.

They all get me...

And, I think I wont be wrong by saying we were both kids with a very short or maybe a very "grown up" childhood.

Very good very nice... as always :)

RNSANE said...

Dearest Dulce,

This seemed very contemplative but, of course, life is made up of constant questions. We seem to get one answered and another crops up - or circumstances change and so do the answers and we ask different questions.

steveroni said...

DulllSeeee...you are covering every possible and thoughtful self-question
here. AMAZING! I am glad this is not a test!

But ya know? I really enjoy how the last stanza sums it all--for me. And that is where I found the most expressions/questionings with which I can most identify.

You are working too hard??? Hmmmmm?

Love ya, anyway, Canary-girl!

Jessie said...

such a deep question. it makes me wonder, even when we "believe" it's our choice, how much of that decision is really our own?

now i feel like a dog chasing it's tail!!! lol

nice post!

smiles,

steveroni said...

DULLLL-SEEEEEEE. I commented so nicely, and d n know what happened, I'm sure you d n delete. So here goes, another try to recapture that "awesome" comment of mine--grin! except I forgot it--LOL!!!

About the "thousand questions" --you covered the prequel to every answer ever conceived by God or mankind. I am SO GRATEFUL this is not a "test".

With the final stanza/paragraph I can identify--every word.

This is different for you, and well thought and well written.

Love ya, Canary girl!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely thoughts..
life has its own arrangement.
thank you for asking so many interesting questions.

Nevine Sultan said...

I love the voice in this piece... so sharp and precise. It sounds a bit off of your usual, and I'm wondering if, as you stay busy, your subconscious mind feeds you thoughts you don't think when you just sit to it and think. You know what I mean? I have moments like that, and that is when I write those pieces in the second person.

I like that all of the questions were to the point... and I wonder if any of us ever want the answers.

A deep read, Dulce. Very deep... and I loved it!

Nevine

S. Susan Deborah said...

Existential meanderings of the self. Almost every thought during "those" moments are beautifully expressed here. Dulce, hope you are well. Maybe something is niggling your sweet self but whatever it is, it will pass away.

Dulce, wish you joy and courage always,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Incredible work, you're improving your writing style little by little, and you surprise us with your incredible style and use of the words, you're a good writer. And believe if I say that you're going to be one of the best... thank for give us your words and thoughts.

Kisses! Dress to kill!!

marie said...

I am speechless except to say this was one of my favorites by you.

Templeton's fury said...

Maybe when we learn how to let go of our shame?

Reysagrado said...

Just from the moment we realise we are free to choose, then we are certainly free to make a choice.

In other words, since we are brave enough to take the risk;)

Free kisses, ¡¡muack!!

Maha said...

I loved this reflective mood you set us in. i don't know when this started for me. But, i believe that in life, there's nothing absolute. sometimes you are free, and others, you are not.

JStar said...

GIRL...You hit the nail on the head with this one...