Pages

Saturday, August 22

Around Me


This is not a poem, nor a story. It is about life and how it revolves around me (or us). Just a few from a million examples.

I spent a few days in a hotel in the south of my island. Funny, G. Man said: ‘if you live in The Canaries where do you go for holidays?’

Ok. We like (and often need) to leave the islands, but to do so you cannot just take a scooter. You must fly or spend three days on a boat to get to Europe. I hate flying but, thank God, Valium® exists! My idea, at first, was to fly away, but my plans were ruined for reasons not worth saying now.


Back to the hotel. There I saw that those who are from the island pay much more than Spanish (from the mainland) or foreigners, who come with the All-Included stuff and pay less in ten days than me in just three. Unfair.

To be able to get internet connection I had to pay one euro for ten minutes. Unfair. Internet should be free to customers. Instead of TV (or together with it) we should have one in the room… after all it’s a four- star!

But the crisis is getting clearer… That seems to be the reason why most of the islanders here have chosen to stay and go down south, rather than travel to Europe, America or Asia (very few go to Japan or Australia), because they cannot afford the very expensive plane tickets and the hotels abroad. But I wonder if they have really saved that much.

It's said that these are the Fortunate Islands. Well, apart from the all-year -round nice weather I do not see much fortune here. And that weather thing is not so fortunate, either. We’d like to live each season as everyone else does. We are limited by the sea all around- which is great- especially to surfers!...

I am not saying I’d rather live somewhere else, but…It’s unfair to me today.


I’ve realized how much the world revolves around me and all of us (that Steve’s comic strip has given me lots to think!).


Two days ago there was an explosion in a pyrotechnics factory near my house. Two were killed. Oh yes! this has been big news. Last year there was a plane accident in Madrid airport where 154 people died. 90% were from my island. We all really got shocked and moved for months and still think about it in the anniversary (two days ago too!).

Ninety-five people (violence) have died in Baghdad, more than 567 in China (floods). Disasters. Unfair, yes.
But why is it that we suffer more for two people who we do not
know than for 567 Chinese people we do not know? Do we think there are so many Chinese … (what’s 567 out of a billion?) Or is it because they are far away from us? Or is it that we are so used to listening to or reading or watching such pieces of news coming from the far East that we have become indifferent to them?

UNFAIR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Dulce

9 comments:

Unknown said...

heartbreaking photos --

I think sometimes we get caught up in our own lives that we turn a blind eye to these things.

Thank you so much for this powerful post.

And thank you for visiting my blog and your incredible comments.
:)
Sue

Unknown said...

Yes, awesome post -- SOUL -- I don't look at the mirror anymore...

exactly what I aspire...

thanks so much, friend :)
Sue

Dulçe ♥ said...

You are welcome!

steveroni said...

Only a God (Who created all things, has the quality which allows It to be conscious of all which is going on everywhere.

Only the Author wrote the story. However, in THIS story--life--the difference is that billions of us have the power to CHANGE the story to suit ourselves.

But the outcome has to be always the same, which the Author wrote. And that is the only thing I ever heard...is just to love--and be loved in return.

Listen to what you are being told here, Dear Dulce. It could very well be The Author/Creator, talking to you...through a human.

steveroni said...

Oh yes, I forgot (got on the soapbox again...see what happens? Forgetting!). There are NEVER crowds like that on beaches in SW Florida. SO much more room to "play". yeah!

Anonymous said...

In the first shot, that was some kind of invasion, you don't regularly see that everyday.

Rikkij said...

D-wow! makes Normandy look like a picnic! and yes, I think we have become immune to calamities and death. So flooded by the media. Only those closest can affect. ~rick

Dulçe ♥ said...

Hi everyone!
It seems you think the first photo was taken in one of the beaches round here. Nope
It's from Google images.All of them are.
Although I must admit we get some crowds like this on some hot Sundays...
Thanks for your comments

thoughts said...

i guess its not indifference, its due to mental connection.. its natural that you will connect more to the people of your neighbourhood than people from a distant continent.